Rents in Verdun are more and more unaffordable for many people. They often increase dramatically when tenants change. There are however ways to avoid abusive increases.

Question: when people move, does the landlord have the right to increase the rent as he or she pleases?
Answer: No! And we can prevent this!

If you manage to have a proof of the rent paid by the previous tenants within two months after signing a lease, you can ask the Régie du logement to fix the rent. You only have 10 days instead of two months, however, in cases where the landlord declares the previous rent in section G of the lease.

Ways to keep affordable rents when you leave an appartment

1. Find a new tenant for the apartment and transfer them your lease. You will be released of all your obligations and the new tenant will have the same rent.
2. Send a proof of the rent you have been paying to the new tenant. For instance, a notice of rent increase of the last year, a copy of the lease, or a receipt for the rent. If you cannot give it to them personally, you can send it by mail.

The former Verdun regisry of leases

In 2015-2016, the CACV attempted to create a registry of leases in Verdun. Unfortunately, we were unable to collect a great enough number of leases to help tenants to find a proof of the old rent of their apartment. For this reason, and because of the difficulty of keeping the information up to date, The CACV ceased to collect leases and recommends instead that tenants follow the procedures described above.

Other initiatives

At any time, you can take two minutes to submit your information on the website or consult the site to see if someone has a proof of the previous rent of your apartment.